Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sao Jorge

We came to Sao Jorge and I did not expect much. I left the island with a love for it equal to Pico.

My godfather Moses was born on the island, so he was happy to take us there to show us around. His brother picked us up and showed us as much as any man possibly could in the limited amount of time that we had to spend there.

I had previously thought that the view of Pico was amazing from Faial, I was wrong, the word amazing belongs to Sao Jorge. The picturesque Pico unveiled herself from the clouds today to show that she still had some tricks up her sleeve. Every picture that we took turned out great and still you feel as though we were doing a disservice to her elegance as she is much more beutiful when observed in person.

Moses' brother Angelo was a terrific guide as he knew all the right places. He also knew all the right people as everywhere we went on the island opened up their homes to us. There are over 9000 people on this island and I would be surprised if there was someone living here that he didn't know.

We prolonged our trip as much as we could and we leave with a fond memory of the beuty of Sao Jorge, the friendliness of its people and the generosity of Angelo.

I will scour the script to find a way to crowbar this island into the movie one way or another.

Obrigado Sao Jorge.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5

2 comments:

Rob B said...

Hello, I just found your blog and am enjoying reading it. It seems that you are fully enjoying the Azores experience and are immersing yourself in the lifestyle. I hope to see your movie someday.

As for an abandoned town to set it in ... have you checked out Cachorro in Pico? The day I was there it certainly seemed abandoned. Not a soul in sight. And I don't recall any new buildings there.

I have yet to climb Pico and am envious of your experience. I wonder: How long did it take you?

Thanks for all of the wonderful pictures!

Kind Regards
Rob B
www.magical-azores-islands.com

Alex Vigano said...

Hi, I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the blog, thank you for your nice comments.

We actually stayed in a town walking distance from cachorro and I like that town very much, there is a good chance that we will do some filming there.

Climbing Pico is amazing and should not be missed on your next visit. It tootook us a little over two and half hours to climb up it from casa do mantahna.